FAQs HR Academy

Frequently Asked Questions

I’ve never had an HR person before. How do I start a department?

We can help. Whether you’re a start-up or you’ve outgrown your current HR arrangement, we can help you establish a solid foundation for your organization, including the development of employment materials, handbooks, policies, and guidelines. Contact us and we can get started.

What if I don’t need a 40-hour, full time HR person?

One day a week, one day a month, or a couple of days a quarter – whatever time arrangement you need, we can provide it. Contract with us to have a stable, reliable, and experienced HR professional for only part-time hours.

What happens when my HR person leaves the company?

If you need someone to fill in during a transition period or help you hire a replacement for a long-standing HR person, we can help. Take advantage of our experience in this area to ensure you’re better positioned for the future.

I’m not sure I can afford to hire a quality HR person. Help?

In many businesses, HR is an add-on task for another employee – an office manager, CFO or bookkeeper. Our consultants provide full-time HR experience without the investment of benefits, overhead and salary attached to hiring a full-time person. Contact us and we can get started.

We just acquired another firm. How do we meld our two businesses?

Sometimes, a merger or acquisition gives rise to a whole host of HR issues. A short-term project can help your company iron out the differences between two competing policies and set you on a path to success.

Do I have to offer my employees FMLA?

The Family and Medical Leave Act was passed in 1993 and requires employers to provide employees with job protection and unpaid leave for qualified reasons. Since it was first enacted, FMLA has undergone several changes. Contact us and we can help sort out your business’s responsibility.

What is the definition of “disability”?

As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, a person with a disability is a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. When it comes to your business, it is critical to know both federal and state laws in relation to persons with disabilities. Let us help you navigate this important part of your business.

Can I pay my assistant a salary instead of an hourly wage?

That depends.  It would depend on whether the position qualifies for the Administrative Exemption under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).